COMBINED CIVIL SERVICES EXAMINATION –I
GROUP – I SERVICES (PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION) GENERAL STUDIES (DEGREE STANDARD)
Topics for Objective Type
SUBJECT CODE: 003
UNIT-I : GENERAL SCIENCE
- Scientific Knowledge and Scientific temper – Power of Reasoning – Rote Learning Vs Conceptual Learning – Science as a tool to understand the past, present and future.
- Nature of Universe – General Scientific Laws – Mechanics – Properties of Matter, Force, Motion and Energy – Everyday application of the basic principles of Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Light, Sound, Heat, Nuclear Physics, Laser, Electronics and Communications.
- Elements and Compounds, Acids, Bases, Salts, Petroleum Products, Fertilizers, Pesticides.
- Main concepts of Life Science, Classification of Living Organisms, Evolution, Genetics, Physiology, Nutrition, Health and Hygiene, Human diseases.
- Environment and Ecology.
UNIT-II: CURRENT EVENTS
- History – Latest diary of events – National symbols – Profile of States – Eminent personalities and places in news – Sports – Books and authors.
- Polity – Political parties and political system in India – Public awareness and General administration – Welfare oriented Government schemes and their utility, Problems in Public Delivery Systems.
- Geography – Geographical landmarks.
- Economics – Current socio – economic issues.
- Science – Latest inventions in Science and Technology
UNIT- III: GEOGRAPHY OF INDIA
- Location – Physical features – Monsoon, rainfall, weather and climate – Water resources – Rivers in India – Soil, minerals and natural resources – Forest and wildlife – Agricultural pattern.
- Transport – Communication.
- Social geography – Population density and distribution – Racial, linguistic groups and major tribes.
- Natural calamity – Disaster Management – Environmental pollution: Reasons and preventive measures – Climate change – Green energy
UNIT – IV: HISTORY AND CULTURE OF INDIA
- Indus valley civilization – Guptas, Delhi Sultans, Mughals and Marathas – Age of Vijayanagaram and Bahmani Kingdoms – South Indian history.
- Change and Continuity in the Socio – Cultural History of India.
- Characteristics of Indian culture, Unity in diversity – Race, language, custom.
- India as a Secular State, Social Harmony.
UNIT-V: INDIAN POLITY
- Constitution of India – Preamble to the Constitution – Salient features of the Constitution – Union, State and Union Territory.
- Citizenship, Fundamental rights, Fundamental duties, Directive Principles of State Policy.
- Union Executive, Union legislature – State Executive, State Legislature – Local governments, Panchayat Raj.
- Spirit of Federalism: Centre – State Relationships.
- Election – Judiciary in India – Rule of law.
- Corruption in public life – Anti-corruption measures – Lokpal and LokAyukta – Right to Information – Empowerment of women – Consumer protection forums, Human rights charter
UNIT-VI: INDIAN ECONOMY
- Nature of Indian economy – Five year plan models – an assessment – Planning Commission and Niti Ayog.
- Sources of revenue – Reserve Bank of India – Fiscal Policy and Monetary Policy – Finance Commission – Resource sharing between Union and State Governments – Goods and Services Tax.
- Structure of Indian Economy and Employment Generation, Land reforms and Agriculture – Application of Science and Technology in agriculture – Industrial growth – Rural welfare oriented programmes – Social problems – Population, education, health, employment, poverty.
UNIT-VII: INDIAN NATIONAL MOVEMENT
- National renaissance – Early uprising against British rule – Indian National Congress – Emergence of leaders – B.R.Ambedkar, Bhagat Singh, Bharathiar, V.O.Chidambaranar, Jawaharlal Nehru,Kamarajar, Mahatma Gandhi, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, ThanthaiPeriyar, Rajaji, Subash Chandra Bose and others.
- Different modes of Agitation: Growth of Satyagraha and Militant movements.
- Communalism and partition.
UNIT- VIII: HISTORY, CULTURE, HERITAGE AND SOCIO – POLITICAL MOVEMENTS IN TAMIL NADU
- History of Tamil Society, related Archaeological discoveries, Tamil Literature from Sangam age till contemporary times.
- Thirukkural : (a) Significance as a Secular literature
(b) Relevance to Everyday Life
(c) Impact of Thirukkural on Humanity
(d) Thirukkural and Universal Values – Equality,Humanism, etc
(e) Relevance to Socio – Politico – Economic affairs
(f) Philosophical content in Thirukkural
- Role of Tamil Nadu in freedom struggle – Early agitations against British Rule – Role of women in freedom struggle.
- Evolution of 19th and 20th Century Socio-Political movements in Tamil Nadu – Justice Party, Growth of Rationalism -Self Respect Movement, Dravidian movement and Principles underlying both these movements, Contributions of Thanthai Periyar and Perarignar Anna.
UNIT – IX: DEVELOPMENT ADMINISTRATION IN TAMIL NADU
- Human Development Indicators in Tamil Nadu and a comparative assessment across the Country – Impact of Social Reform movements in the Socio – Economic Development of Tamil Nadu.
- Political parties and Welfare schemes for various sections of people – Rationale behind Reservation Policy and access to Social Resources – Economic trends in Tamil Nadu – Role and impact of social welfare schemes in the Socio – economic development of Tamil Nadu.
- Social Justice and Social Harmony as the Cornerstones of Socio – Economic development.
- Education and Health systems in Tamil Nadu.
- Geography of Tamil Nadu and its impact on Economic growth.
- Achievements of Tamil Nadu in various fields.
- e-governance in Tamil Nadu.
UNIT-X: APTITUDE AND MENTAL ABILITY
- Simplification – Percentage – Highest Common Factor (HCF) – Lowest Common Multiple (LCM).
- Ratio and Proportion.
- Simple interest – Compound interest – Area – Volume – Time and Work.
- Logical Reasoning – Puzzles-Dice – Visual Reasoning – Alpha numeric Reasoning – Number Series.
COMBINED CIVIL SERVICES EXAMINATION- I
Group – I Services (Main Examination)
PAPER – I
UNIT- I: Modern history of India and Indian culture
UNIT- II: Social issues in India and Tamil Nadu
UNIT- III: General Aptitude & Mental Ability (SSLC Standard)
PAPER – II
UNIT- I: Indian Polity and emerging political trends across the world affecting India
UNIT- II: Role and impact of Science and Technology in the development of India
UNIT- III: Tamil Society ‐ Its Culture and Heritage
PAPER – III
UNIT- I: Geography of India with special reference to Tamil Nadu
UNIT- II: Environment, Bio Diversity and Disaster Management
UNIT- III: Indian Economy – Current economic trends and impact of global economy on India
COMBINED CIVIL SERVICES EXAMINATION – I
Group – I Services (Main Examination) (Degree
PAPER – I – General studies
UNIT- I: MODERN HISTORY OF INDIA AND INDIAN CULTURE
Advent of European invasion ‐ Expansion and consolidation of British rule – Early uprising against British rule ‐ 1857 Revolt – Indian National Congress ‐ Growth of militant movements ‐ Different modes of agitations – Emergence of national leaders ‐ Gandhi, Nehru, Tagore, Netaji, Moulana Abulkalam Azad, Ambedkar and Patel ‐ Era of different Acts & Pacts ‐ Second World War & final phase struggle ‐ Communalism led to partition. Effect of British rule on socio‐economic factors ‐ National renaissance – Socio religious reform movements. India since independence ‐ Characteristics of Indian culture ‐ Unity in diversity ‐ Race, Language, Religion Custom ‐ India: a secular state ‐Organizations for fine arts, dance, drama and music. Role of Tamil Nadu in freedom struggle ‐ Bharathiar, VOC,Subramania Siva, Rajaji, Periyar and others – Political parties and Welfare schemes. Latest diary of events: National and International ‐ National symbols- Eminent personalities & places in news ‐ Sports & Games ‐Books & Authors ‐ Awards & Honours ‐ Cultural panorama ‐ Latest historical events – Latest terminology ‐ Appointments ‐ who is who?
UNIT- II: SOCIAL ISSUES IN INDIA AND TAMIL NADU
Population Explosion ‐ Unemployment issues in India & Tamil Nadu ‐Child Abuse & Child Labour – Poverty – Rural and Urban Sanitation –Illiteracy.
Women Empowerment ‐ Role of the Government in Women Empowerment – Social injustice to Women ‐ Domestic violence, Dowry menace, Sexual assault – Role of women and women’s organisations Social changes in India – Urbanization and its impact on the society– Problems and remedies ‐ Impact of violence on Society – Religious violence, Terrorism and Communal violence ‐ Regional Disparities ‐
Problems of Minorities ‐ Human Rights issues. Education – Linkage between Education and Social Development ‐Community Development Programmes ‐ Employment Guarantee Schemes‐ Self Employment and Entrepreneurship Development ‐ Role of N.G.Os in Social Welfare – Government Policy on Health.
Welfare Schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Central and State governments and their performance.
UNIT-III : GENERAL APTITUDE & MENTAL ABILITY
Conversion of information to data ‐ Collection, compilation and presentation of data ‐ Tables, Graphs, Diagrams ‐ Parametric representation of data ‐ Analytical interpretation of data ‐ Percentage ‐
Highest Common Factor (HCF) ‐ Lowest Common Multiple (LCM) ‐ Ratio and Proportion ‐ Simple interest ‐ Compound interest ‐ Area ‐ Volume‐Time and Work – Probability.
Information technology ‐ Basic terms, Communications ‐ Application of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) ‐ Decision making and problem solving ‐ Basics in Computers / Computer terminology.
COMBINED CIVIL SERVICES EXAMINATION- I
Group – I Services (Main Examination) (Degree
PAPER – II – General studies
UNIT – I: INDIAN POLITY AND EMERGING POLITICAL TRENDS
ACROSS THE WORLD AFFECTING INDIA
Constitution of India: Historical background – Making of the Indian
Constitution – Preamble – Salient features of the Indian Constitution –
Fundamental Rights and Fundamental Duties – Directive Principles of State
Policy – Schedules to the Indian Constitution.
Union Executive: President, Vice – President, Prime Minister and Council
Of Ministers, Attorney General of India.
Union Legislature: Parliament: Lok – Sabha and Rajya – Sabha –
Composition, Powers, Functions and Legislative procedures.
Union Judiciary: Structure, Powers and Functions of the Supreme Court –
Judicial Review – Latest Verdicts.
State Executive: Governor, Chief Minister – Speaker and Council of
Ministers, Advocate General of the State.
State Legislature: State Legislative Assembly – Organization, Powers and
State Judiciary: Organization, Powers and Functions of High Courts,
District Courts and Subordinate Courts.
Local Government: Historical Development – Features and working of 73rd and 74th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1992.
Union Territories: Evolution of States and Union Territories –
Administration of Union Territories.
Federalism in India: Centre – State Relations – Centre – State
Administrative Relations – Centre – State Legislative Relations and Centre –
State Financial Relations.
Civil Services in India: Historical background – Classification of Civil
Services – Recruitment & Training of Civil Servants.
State Services: Classification of State Services and Recruitment.
Official Language: Constitutional provision – Official Language Act,
VIII Schedule to the Constitution.
Amendments: Major Amendments to the Indian Constitution.
Special Status to Jammu & Kashmir: Art 370.
Political Parties: National & Regional parties, Pressure Groups, Interest
Groups, Public Opinion, Mass Media, Non-Governmental Organizations
(NGOs) and their role.
Issue Areas in Indian Administration: Corruption in India – Anti –
Corruption Measures – CVC – Lok Adalats – Ombudsman – RTI Act –
Minister – Secretary Relationship – Generalist vs. Specialist controversy.
Constitutional and Non-Constitutional Bodies – Composition, Powers and
Profile of States – Defence, National Security and Terrorism – World
Organisations – Pacts and Summits.
India’s Foreign Policy: Foreign Affairs with Special emphasis on India’s relations with neighboring countries and in the region – Security and
defence related issues – Nuclear Policy – Issues and conflicts. The Indian
Diaspora and its contribution to India and to the World.
UNIT – II : ROLE AND IMPACT OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY IN
THE DEVELOPMENT OF INDIA
Science and Technology – Role, Achievements and Developments -Their applications and effects in everyday life ‐ Energy ‐ Conventional and Non-conventional – Self sufficiency ‐ Oil exploration ‐Defence Research.Organizations and other science and technology institutions – Ocean Research and Development – Role and Functions.Advancements in the fields of I.T., Space, Computers, Robotics,
Nano-Technology ‐ Mobile Communication – Remote sensing and its benefits.Health and hygiene ‐ Human diseases – Prevention and remedies ‐Communicable diseases and non‐communicable diseases – Genetic.Engineering – Organ transplantation – Stem cell Technology – Medical
Tourism – Advancements in Horticulture & Agriculture. Achievements of Indians in the fields of Science and Technology.Latest inventions in science & technology.
UNIT – III : TAMIL SOCIETY – ITS CULTURE AND HERITAGE
Candidates may answer the questions in this unit EITHER in Tamil
OR in English.
1) Tamil Society : Origin and expansion.
2) Art and Culture : Literature, Music, Film, Drama, Architecture,
Sculpture, Paintings and Folk Arts.
3) Socio – economic history of Tamil Nadu from Sangam age to till date.
4) Growth of Rationalist, Dravidian movements in Tamil Nadu -Their role in the socio – economic development of Tamil Nadu.
5) Social and cultural life of contemporary Tamils : Caste, Religion,Women, Politics, Education, Economy, Trade and relationship with other countries.
6) Tamil and other Disciplines: Mass Media,Computer etc.
COMBINED CIVIL SERVICES EXAMINATION- I
Group – I Services (Main Examination)
( Degree Standard)
PAPER – III ‐ General studies
UNIT-I : GEOGRAPHY OF INDIA WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO TAMILNADU
Location – Physical features – Major Rivers – Weather & Climate – Monsoon, Rainfall ‐ Natural resources:- Soil, Water, Forest, Minerals and Wild life – Agricultural pattern – Livestock – Fisheries – Industries; Major industries – Growth and Development – Social- Cultural geography -Population : Growth, Density and Distribution – Racial, linguistic and
major tribes.Oceanography – Bottom relief features of Indian Ocean, Arabian sea and Bay of Bengal.Basics of Geospatial Technology: Geographical Information
System (GIS) and Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS).Map: Geographical landmarks – India and its neighbours.
UNIT II: ENVIRONMENT, BIODIVERSITY AND DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Ecology: Structure and function of Ecosystem – Ecological succession -Biodiversity conservation: Types – Biodiversity Hot Spots in India –Biodiversity: Significance and Threats – In situ and Ex situ conservation. Measures – Roles of Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) & Convention on Biological Diversity(CBD).
Environmental Pollution and Management: Air, Water, Soil, Thermal and Noise pollution and control strategies – Solid and Hazardous waste management – Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA): Steps in EIA process – Environmental Clearance – Environmental Auditing.
Climate Change: Global Environmental Issues and Management –Changes in monsoon pattern in Tamil Nadu and India – Environmental consequences of climate change and mitigation measures – Clean and Green Energy – Environmental Sustainability.
Environmental Laws, Policies & Treaties in India and Global scenario -Natural calamities and Disaster Management – Environmental Health and Sanitation.
UNIT III : INDIAN ECONOMY – CURRENT ECONOMIC TRENDS AND
IMPACT OF GLOBAL ECONOMY ON INDIA
Features of Indian Economy – Demographical profile of India –National Income – Capital formation – NEP (New Economic Policy) – NITI AYOG – National Development Council.Agriculture – Role of Agriculture – Land reforms – New Agricultural
Strategy – Green Revolution – Price Policy, Public Distribution System (PDS), Subsidy, Food Security– Agricultural Marketing, Crop Insurance, Labour – Rural credit & indebtness – WTO & Agriculture. Industry – Growth ‐ Policy – Role of public sector and disinvestment– Privatization and Liberalization – Public Private Partnership (PPP) –
SEZs. – MSMEs. – Make in India.Infrastructure in India – Transport System – Energy – Power –Communication – Social Infrastructure – Science & Technology – R&D.
Banking & Finance – Banking, Money & Finance – Central Bank –Commercial Bank – NBFIs. – Stock Market – Financial Reforms – Financial.Stability – Monetary Policy – RBI & Autonomy.Public Finance – Sources of Revenue – Tax & Non-Tax Revenue – Canons of taxation – GST – Public expenditure – Public debt – Finance
Commission – Fiscal Policy.Issues in Indian Economy – Poverty & inequality – Poverty alleviation programmes – MGNREGA – New Welfare programmes for rural poverty – Unemployment – Inflation – Inflation targeting – Sustainable economic growth – Gender issues.
India’s Foreign Trade – BOP, EX-IM Policy, FOREX Market, FDI; Globalization & its impact – Global economic crisis & impact on Indian economy. International Agencies – IMF (International Monetary Fund) World Bank – BRICS – SAARC – ASEAN.Tamil Nadu Economy & Issues – Gross State Domestic Product –Trends in State’s economic growth – Demographic profile of Tamil Nadu –Agriculture – Industry & entrepreneurship development in Tamil Nadu –Infrastructure – Power, Transportation systems – Social Infrastructure –SHGs. & Rural Women empowerment – Rural poverty & unemployment –Environmental issues – Regional economic disparities – Local Government – Recent government welfare programmes.